Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Resident Evil 6: Prologue Chapter

So recently I just got my hands on the newly released Playstation 3 console, the 500 GB Super Slim model, and a few other games to get this new console broken in. I went nuts when I got myself a copy of Resident Evil 6. The reason I went nuts was because I've been with this franchise ever since its early iterations on the first Playstation console. So much like what I did when I saw the game case when I came home last night, let's just get into it.

                                            I kinda freaked out when I found out that the number 6      
                                                        is made up of people and spiders

After you press start, you are immediately thrown into a panning view of a quiet dark scene. Close up to an abandoned car with a pupa slowly tearing open on its steering wheel, then all hell breaks lose.

Explosions go off and you are left lying on the floor, dazed, and breathing hoarsely. A woman beside you seemingly received more damage than you and you struggle to drag her given your current state. You take her to cover and continue to slowly walk across to your destination. You lay her down as you find some herbs to heal her with. You are quickly made aware of the gravity of your situation, it's the classic zombie apocalypse survival story. Suddenly the sequence ends and you are greeted with the opening title sequence as the prologue chapter concludes.

NOSTALGIA

If you've played any of the older resident evil games, you are familiar with the false sense of security that you are lulled into at the beginning sequence which is quickly stolen from you as something horrible happens that leads you to the beginning of your campaign. All such games begin with building your confidence, then thrusting the challenge upon you immediately.

GRAPHICS

The visuals are stunning as always. The feeling of elation when you boot up a resident evil game for the first time never changes. Capcom certainly hasn't fallen short in today's gaming industry where gamers are picky as hell when it comes to their games' graphics, heck most of them might not be able to go through an 8bit game without missing their precious HD graphics.

Your first controlled character is Leon Kennedy. I was happy with seeing a familiar face and at the same time I felt a little sorry for him, this is his 3rd zombie apocalypse(and I realized that this was Chris' 3rd as well). I know companies make it a point to keep dialogue animations consistent with the Japanese and English audio, but there were some words coming out of their mouths that didn't feel right. Forever the challenge of international game developers.

                                                                 Say Hello to Leon

CONTROLS  & OVERALL GAME FEEL


First thing I noticed was that the game itself spoon-feeds the players, I say this because the game prompts you to use the right analog stick to look around. Simple movements and motions don't require spoon feeding in my opinion. It kind of killed the mood just as Leon was getting up off the ground, I see the analog logo blinking on-screen. I immediately thought, "oh it's one those games."


A lot has changed since Leon's appearance in Resident Evil 4. The overhead camera in RE4 seemed to be more cooperative than in RE6, where you have to manually adjust your camera with the right analog. Now while some people might enjoy this, it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Now the default controls for the actual combat motion changed as well, you press L1 to aim and R1 to shoot, as opposed to RE4's controls where you press R1 to aim and SQUARE to shoot. I've been experimenting with both modes of shooting and aim finding myself slowly getting used to the new default controls. We shall see after a few chapters into this game if it makes things easier or harder.

                              Over the shoulder camera action

The Heads-up Display (HUD) is hella ugly. They made it transparent, which makes it that much harder to see while you're playing. Capcom completely eliminated the old inventory system where you open a case in the start menu and have chosen to stick with the inventory system used in Resident Evil 5 where you mess with your stuff on screen, in front of your character. Take note that this does not pause the game unlike in the old inventory system, this means that you can get murdered while you pick which herbs to mix ( I died in RE5 when I missed a reaction trigger because I was fixing bullets in the inventory).

                                The new transparent HUD

Visually the gameplay is stunning but the HUD, controls, and inventory system are some things that need getting used to. I have chosen to start with the Leon campaign in Co-Op mode with my cousin.
                             Leon's got himself a new partner

My next entry will tackle our first chapter in the Leon campaign so wait for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment